All Day (Freitag)
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Please join us for the 28th National Conference on Problem Gambling, July 11-12, 2014 in Orlando, Florida. The largest and oldest conference on problem gambling in the world brings together leaders
Please join us for the 28th National Conference on Problem Gambling,
July 11-12, 2014 in Orlando, Florida.
The largest and oldest conference on problem gambling in
the world brings together leaders in prevention, education,
treatment, responsible gaming, research, and recovery.
Whether you are a seasoned professional or a newcomer to gambling
issues, you will find more than 70 presentations—from plenaries to
posters—packed with high-quality information.
The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is a premiere resort hotel with
outstanding entertainment opportunities for the entire family. Orlando
is home to world-famous theme parks, incredible golf, shopping,
entertainment and so much more. We look forward to seeing you
for exciting speakers, extensive networking and exceptional fun with
stakeholders from across the country and around the world!
Opening reception July 10. Pre-Conference July 9 – 10.
For further details about the event download the NCPG Conference brochure (PDF).
In addition to the plenaries, you’re sure to find thought-provoking and top-notch information from a wide range
of presenters with over 70 workshops, breakouts and poster sessions to choose from plus movie screenings and a
redesigned Prevention Showcase. New this year are the PED Talks (Problem Gambling Education) modeled on the
internationally-known TED Talks. Two visionaries, Tim Christensen and Don Feeney, will each use no more than 10
slides in 20 minutes to present ideas that will help challenge and change the field.
Pre-Conference Workshops and Lead Presenters include:*
• Cultural Competency: From Theory to Practice Victor Ortiz
• Problem Gambling Integrated Recovery Oriented System of Care Jim Wuelfing
• Introduction to Problem Gambling for the Gambling Industry, Regulators and Policy Makers Don Feeney
• Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) for Process Addictions Kirk Moberg, PhD, MD
• Surviving Your First Year as a Gambling Counselor Jessica Auslander
• Using Mindfulness-Based Training with Problem Gamblers Rory Reid, PhD
*see complete list on registration form
Main Conference Breakouts and Lead Presenters include:*
• Helping African-American Problem Gamblers Deborah Haskins, PhD, NCGCII
• State of the State: Problem Gambling & Gambling Expansion in Florida Pat Fowler
• Getting Their Attention: Older Adults & Gambling Jody Bechtold, NCGCII
• ‘App’rehensive: Blurring Between Games & Gaming; How to Protect Our Most Vulnerable Julie Hynes
• Responsible Gaming Technology – Challenges and Considerations for Gaming Markets Connie Jones
• Pathway to Best Practices in Responsible Gaming for Lotteries Stephen Martino
• In Recovery: Where Are We Now and Where Do We Go from Here? Donna Zaharevitz
• PED Talk: One Simple Idea: Problem Gambling Awareness Month Tim Christensen
• DSM-5 and ASAM Patient Placement: Changes in Assessment and Case Management Jeff Beck, JD, CCGC
• E-therapy: Bridging the Gap for Rural Problem Gamblers Bob Kerksieck
• Importance of Family Treatment Component in Gambling Care Robert Hunter, PhD
• PED Talk: Problem Gambling and Public Policy: The Next 10 Years Don Feeney
• Treatment Outcomes for a Residential Gambling Treatment Program Jacquelene Moghaddam, PhD
• Level of Care – How Do We Decide Where to Send Problem Gamblers for Treatment David Ledgerwood, PhD
• SBIRT for Disordered Gambling Loreen Rugle, PhD, NCGCII
• Understanding and Treatment for Disordered Gambling in Military and Veteran Populations Glenn Osowski, NCGCII
• New Developments in Treatments for People with Gambling Problems Marc Potenza, PhD, MD
• Underage Gambling Penalties in The United States Christopher Welsh, MD
*Partial list, program subject to change. Full program available at www.ncpgambling.org/conference
Networking & Social Events
Based on your feedback we’ve expanded networking opportunities at the conference. Options include:
• Meet up with friends at the Welcome Reception on Thursday night! Pick up your conference badge at registration and
enjoy elegant appetizers and drinks on the pool deck under the palm trees to the sounds of tropical music between the
lagoon-style pool with waterfalls and Lake Windsong’s white sandy beach.
• Sit with someone new during meals: expansive continental breakfast and elegant plated lunch each day.
• Extended mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks are built in – fuel up while you chat and mingle!
• The free NCPG Conference app provides access to attendee and conference information.
• Runners and walkers may sign up for the 3.5 mile Fun Run/Walk on Saturday morning. All participants receive a technical wicking T-shirt with conference logo. *
• Friday Night Highlight Event (see back cover) includes a private reception at SeaWorld, intimate dinner and access
to all the park attractions until closing, along with round-trip bus transportation. *
• Orlando City FC Soccer team hosts the Wilmington Hammerheads on Saturday evening – join our group! *
Exhibitors and Advertisers
Individuals and organizations wishing to garner additional visibility within the problem gambling field may participate as exhibitors and advertisers. Please complete a separate application and registration form available at http://www.ncpgambling.org/conference. Nonprofit and for-profit rates for exhibit booths are available, as well as display ads in our attendee booklet. Exhibitors may register separately to attend the conference sessions. Exhibits open Friday and Saturday, July 11 – 12, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm.
Contact Barbara Rollins for more information at 202.547.9204 x25 or BarbaraR@ncpgambling.org.